For parents new to the Rhein-Main region, finding a school which best suits a child's needs presents a dilemma between choosing the traditional but often inflexible German public school system, or a private but expensive alternative.
German schools represent more than just an opportunity for your child to learn a second language and experience a foreign culture. Enrolling your child in a German school can aid in the integration of both the child and the parents in the community. What's more, the public education system is government-subsidized and is therefore tuition free.
International schools are accustomed to dealing with children from all over the world and with varied linguistic backgrounds. One advantage of the international education system is portability and continuity of the curriculum, which helps prevent learning gaps if the family moves to another location or returns home. And as private schools, they can often afford better facilities, extensive extracurricular activities and longer hours - in some cases up to 6 p.m. But you pay for the privilege: tuition fees can run to well over 18,000 euros a year in the secondary school. German taxpayers can, however, deduct up to 30% of these fees from their taxes as extraordinary expenses (Sonderausgaben) up to a maximum amount of 5,000 euros.
In recent years, a number of bilingual (German-English) primary schools have opened in Frankfurt with tuition that ranges from 220 to 1000 euros per month. What follows is a brief overview of the major international and bilingual schools in the Frankfurt Rhein-Main region.
- Frankfurt International School
- Frankfurt International School - Wiesbaden Campus
- ISF Internationale Schule Frankfurt-Rhein-Main
- European School Frankfurt
- European School Rhein-Main
- Metropolitan School Frankfurt
- Strothoff International School
- accadis International School Bad Homburg
- Erasmus School Frankfurt
- Erasmus School Offenbach
- International Bilingual Montessori School
- Kids Camp Bilingual Primary School
- Main / Taunus International School
- Obermayr International School
- Phorms Frankfurt - City & Taunus Campus
- PbG - Private bilinguale Ganztagsschule
- State International School
- Fintosch - Frankfurt International Toddler School and Kindergarten
- K.I.D.S Kindergarten e.V.
- Die Kinderzeit-Schule
- Le Jardin Nurseries and Kindergartens
- Little Angels Playgroup
- Little Giants
- Pebbles Daycare Centre
- Taunus International Montessori School
- Information about Post-Secondary Education
- EBS Business School and EBS Law School
- Frankfurt School of Finance and Management
- Goethe Business School
- Institute for Law and Finance (ILF)
- Kellogg-WHU Executive MBA Program
- Technische Hochschule Mittelhessen (THM)